Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Nutella Turnover - Empanadilla de Nutella

Today I'm going to share the recipe for the little Nutella turnovers we had last Sunday during our "merienda". Those of you who had the "pleasure" to try my "mantecado-attempt" last Christmas know that I'm not good with sweets or desserts! :) Goran could attest to it too if he remembers my "marble cake-attempt" (hard and salty, just the way cake should be! :) ). So, for this to turn our good even when I'm preparing it, it must me really really easy. Here we go:

Ingredients (9 turnovers)
1 puff pastry sheet (they sell them frozen in the frozen cake aisle)
9 teaspoons Nutella
1 egg
Water
Sugar

Preparation

  1. Allow the puff pastry sheet to thaw at room temperature for as long as indicated in the package, approx. 45 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 400F.
  3. Unfold the puff pastry sheet and lightly roll a rolling pin over it to make the sheet slightly thinner.
  4. Cut sheet in 9 even squares. You can use the folding lines as a reference.
  5. Place a teaspoon of Nutella in the middle of each square.
  6. Brush the border of the pastry with a water and sugar mixture. It will make the border sticky and prevent "exploding" in the oven.
  7. Fold squares to form rectangles. Press the borders with your fingers.
  8. Seal the edges with a fork (empanadilla-style ;) ).
  9. Place turnovers on a baking sheet.
  10. Beat the egg and brush the turnovers with it.
  11. Sprinkle pure cane sugar on top of each turnover.
  12. Bake for approx. 15 minutes.

Note: Apricot jam works great for the filling too. I have also tried a raspberry jam, but Goran and I didn't like it.

Remember to let turnovers sit for a few minutes and cool down before biting into them! :) The Nutella is really hot and you don't want to burn your tongue and not enjoy the rest of it, right? :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the invite darling. I am crossing my fingers that you will share your roast recipe where you bury it in salt. I've been craving that since I last had it.
Bon appetit!
M

Carmen said...

:) I will! :)